Client : Southwark Project Management
Location : Edinburgh
Value : undisclosed
Completion Date : TBC
We are currently working for Southwark Investments on the conversion of Whitehill House into residential Apartments. Whitehill House is a significant Grade A Listed English-Jacobean revival country house designed by the architect William Burn in the early 1840’s for Sir John Ramsay..
The present house was used as a Red Cross hospital in 1914, and in 1924 was taken on by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul and was a hospital until summer 1998 when it was sold.
The main house will be converted into high quality apartments, entered off the large Jacobean hall, with elaborate stone chimney-piece and overmantle, a U-plan timber stair with barley sugar balusters and large stained glass window.
The adjacent stable block is also being converted into residential properties with construction work expected to start in early 2017.
We are also currently working on a cluster of more contemporary new build house within the grounds of Whitehill House for the same client. This involves the site planning for the new cluster as well as the design of contemporary bungalows, detached and semi-detached units. The intention is to develop a further 6 clusters to provide around 100 new homes of various sizes and design.
Credits : Photograph copyright Dr Duncan Pepper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.